Ethylene dichloride (EDC) is aclear, colourless, oily liquid with a sweet, pleasant chloroform-like odour. Itis highly volatile, toxic, flammable and miscible with chlorinated hydrocarbonsand most organic solvents. It reacts violently with aluminium, alkali metals,alkali amides, ammonia, bases, strong oxidants and attacks many metals inpresence of water.
Other outlets for EDC arechlorinated solvents such as ethyleneamines, trichloroethylene, vinylidenechloride and trichloroethane. It is used as an intermediate in the productionof perchloroethylene (tetrachloroethylene) and as a catalyst in hexachloropheneproduction.
- Ethylene Di Chloride(EDC)
- Chemical Name : 1,2-dichloroethane
- CAS No.: 107-06-2
- Mol.Formula : Cl-CH2- CH2-ClMolecular weight : 98.96g/mol
- Appearance : EDC is a colorless liquid with amild odor
- Purity(wt %): 99.9 min.
- Acidity (as HCI)ppm,wt : 2 max.
- Water (1)ppm, wt : 150 max.
- Density (g/cc): 1.252
- Freezing point : -35°C
- Boiling point : 83.5°C
- Hs code : 29031500